This rare property is a favorite with families wanting a secluded hideaway but still enjoy access to the world class restaurants and shopping in Highlands. Three of Highlands most significant waterfalls is literally “just around the corner” from this property. Just a 20 minute drive from Highlands on one of North Carolina’s most scenic highways this is a community surrounded by national forest, waterfalls, sliding rocks and all of the wonders of nature. It’s not unusual to look out of the kitchen window and see deer playing in the adjacent field or a “rafter” of turkeys looking for seeds and nuts. Walks and hikes surrounding the house have something for everyone, from strenuous to a fairly flat stroll where you can walk and explore until your heart’s content.
This property features two living spaces connected by an oversized deck that looks out on the pond and mountains. The large home is a true timber frame and is entirely constructed with beams, posts and pegs. The living area is open concept with the kitchen, a den, fireplace, and dining all on one floor. And did we mention windows? Natural light abounds. With three bedrooms downstairs on the ground level this allows you to roll suitcases straight from the car through the screened porch avoiding steps. The “second” home shares the large patio with 2 bedrooms and bath, its own kitchen and fireplace! Total privacy for two families or multi generations.
The master bedroom has a walk-in closet, double vanity, an oversized walk-in shower and a wall-mounted 42” TV. The other two bedrooms have queen beds and share a Jack and Jill bathroom. Each guest room has it’s own private vanity and toilet and they share a shower room.
Just a few steps away from the main house conveniently sharing the porch is the perfect kids retreat or two couples private space. With two bedrooms, one full bath, complete kitchen and living area with fireplace, this adorable little cabin is a wonderful addition when you need more space. This cabin is only rented in conjunction with the large house.
**Things you need to know before renting this property:
THERE IS A MAXIMUM OF 10 PEOPLE ALLOWED IN THIS HOUSE!
*This home was built with extreme care and love. The furnishings are provided for our guests for their enjoyment. Please care for our home so we may all continue to enjoy the beauty of the property.
*You are in the mountains and this house is located three miles from Hwy. 64 with the last 1/2 mile of the road being gravel. Part of the charm of its location is the peacefulness, privacy and rustic arrival. It is a well maintained county road and any vehicle can easily drive on it.
* A Basic starter Kit For one night only of coffee (Keurig), creamers, sugar, paper towels, toilet tissue, garbage bags, etc is provided. Plenty of shampoo, conditioner and body wash is provided. While there could be some left by a previous renter, we do not provide any wraps, foils, spices, etc.
* While the pond is enticing and beautiful to walk around and admire, there is absolutely no swimming. The pond is shallow and is silt. However, the creek adjacent to it is fun for kids to splash around and is shallow enough to look for rock treasures, crawdads, and minnows. Be aware we are in the mountains and woods and we do have snakes in the wooded areas. Shoes are highly recommended at all times.
* This property does have stairs leading up to the main living area where the kitchens are located. While you can take suitcases in through the lower level bedrooms, your quickest and most efficient way to get groceries to the kitchens is up the stairs. It is not handicapped accessible to the upper level.
* The timber frame large house has central heat and air and the “little cabin” has a wall heater and ceiling fans in each room. Rarely is there ever a need for AC at our altitude. However a portable unit will be available should you find it necessary or desirable.
Absolutely no bachelors/bachelorette fraternity/sorority parties allowed.
* your family Pets allowed with a non refundable per pet deposit of $75 with a maximum of two (2) dogs. This fee is for the additional cleaning necessary. Should there be damage over and above that amount, it will be billed to your credit card. Please be sure to pick up any pet waste and properly dispose of it. Should a guest fail to adhere, a $200 fee will be imposed to cover our costs associated with maintenance being required to walk the property to check for pet waste. Please help us keep this clean for all of our young guests to play worry-free! Pets are not allowed on beds or furniture.
* Firewood will be provided for a one time indoor fireplace use. Should you wish to use an abundance of wood both in the fireplaces and fire pit, additional firewood is available for your use at $60 for a load. Wood is also available at the grocery store or you may bring in your own. Please note, the owners personal firewood supply is not for use.
Two pack and plays and a inflatable bed are available in the unit for your use. High Chairs are available upon previous arrangements And we will make arrangements for delivery prior to your arrival at $25 per high chair.
Due to the location of this property, internet will be spotty. It is Satellite and we offer the Highest service available. However it is not adequate for Work from home requirements.
* Booking this property assumes acceptance of these policies.